Friday, February 12, 2010

The Night Train from Cairo to Aswan

As the sun set on our last evening in Cairo, Vicky and I were astonished to find that our hotel room has a perfect view of the pyramids. We never notice before because it was impossible to see through the smog ;)






As the sun set over Cairo, we borded the over night train with first class tickets to Aswan. First class in Egypt means something very different than first class in Canada. It means you get a seat... and there won't be a goat beside you. I ended up taking out my sleeping bag and sleeping on the floor for the night. I slept like a log while my travelling companions stayd in their seats, slowly acquireing sore necks and sleepless faces. Moving to the floor allowed me to put up the armrest between Vicky's seat and my own, allowing her to sleep lying down on two seats.



The dirtiest windows I've ever seen. Surprisingly this was the cleanest window I could find on the train. The one in my car did not allow any view of the passing scenery.




I made friends with a goup of four Egyptian children on the train. This boy's name is Steven. I gave each of the children a coin from China. They must have felt the need to return the favor because two of the boys brought me an Egyptian coin each (like I didn't have a pocket full already). Of course I acted like their gift was very special. The girl brought me a twinkiee and the other boy a pice of candy nougat which I MMMMMMed the whole time I ate it.

No comments: