Friday, August 27, 2010

Arrival in Hainan

As always, in China, Vicky and I have been met with both delights and challenges. When we stepped out of the baggage claim in the airport, Vicky and I were greeted by smiling faces and a lovely bouquet. We were met by Jinni and Cia (you can see them in picture #6). Vicky and I were pleasantly surprised at how green Haikou is. Tropical plants abound here, especially trees. There are large trees with beard-like vines hanging down to the ground, but mostly there are palm trees everywhere. There are a lot of different kinds of palm trees, but most of them seem to be coconut baring (like the ones in picture #8).

When we arrived at the apartment the school had set up for us (pic #4) we told them we wanted a more modern apartment located in the downtown area. They are working on that now. They seemed a little dismayed that we did not want to stay in their apartment as they had it renovated for us. Though they might find Micky Mouse curtains welcoming, and solid mahogany furniture to be impressive, Vicky and I are looking for something more comfortable. Hopefully this will work out. The staff certainly seems to be working hard to accommodate our needs, which is nice, since I'm sure some of our requests must seem a little strange and extravagant to them.

Our principal Gary seems to be a really nice guy. He's interested in all of our ideas, and seems to be a real team player. You can see him in pictures # 5&6

Our campus is really nice (pics #1&2). There are trees and flowers everywhere. Right now is the rainy season, so the sky generally open up for a big downpour once a day for an hour or so. The air here is as clean as Canada's though the smell of the air is different. Their is a very distinct smell to the tropics that I remember well from my previous travels, and it permeates the air here. It sort of like the smell in a greenhouse, but different (nicer). Like any Chinese institution though, the grounds may have a generally nice appearance, but attention to detail is lacking (pic #3).

One thing that is very different here than it was in Dalian is the number of foreigners. I have yet to see another white person. Since it is not rude for the Chinese to stare, we tend to have a lot of gazes following us wherever we go. I'm sure it is different in the southern city of Sanya where tourism dominates the economy. Though tourism is also a big deal in Haikou, it is generally Chinese tourists who come here. The beaches are really nice and the water is warm, which I will enjoy year-round.

Since we will be moving, Vicky and I are still living out of our suitcases, and are anxious to get all of our things from Dalian, and settle into our new apartment. We are hoping to be in a nice apartment, within walking distance of a market, a mall, a cafe, a park and the beach. I will be sure to let you know what we end up with.

Aside from the plant life here (Which I love), I'm also really into coconut juice (not coconut milk or coconut water) which is extracted from the meat of the coconut. I have drank a ton of the stuff each day, and can already tell it will be a staple in my diet here. The food here has been delicious!!! For our welcome dinner, the staff here took us out to a restaurant specializing in cooking with hot peppers (pic #6). WOW it was good!


There are so many things I did not get around to this summer, and I feel like I didn't get enough time with anyone.

I will try to post a special not to everyone later today. I have a lunch meeting in an hour and need to get ready for that, so ciao for now.

I love you guys

Dan

Picture #1 campus




Picture #2 campus




Picture #3 campus





Picture #4 our apartment




Picture #5 At the beach with our principal Gary Squire (15 min walk from our school)




Picture #6 Our welcome dinner





Picture #7 Exploring Haikou



Picture #8 Exploring Haikou




Picture #9 Exploring Haikou

No comments: