Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Cambodia

Vicky and I will leave our hotel here in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, in about 30 min from now. I have an enormous amount of blogging to do, especially in posting photos of Siem Reap and the temples of Angkor. That will have to wait, but I will share some thought's until it's time for me to go.

Cambodia is a poor country, with violent past. It is filled with beggars and the homeless. Even those who work often live in shacks made of thin metal sheets, or reed thatched bamboo. Still, the people of Cambodia have a generally upbeat attitude. They are polite and kind. There are an especially large number of amputees in this country, due to the landmines that were placed here in the 1970's.

Even today, people are advised not to go far off the beaten trail. The lonely planet guidebook actually advises peeing off the side of a path rather than venturing a few meters into the forest. "Better to get spotted with your junk out than to lose it all together".

I have found negotiating my own behavior in this environment to be somewhat challenging. As a traveler who tends to visit countries where prices are not set but negotiated, I have become a careful, if that's the right word, consumer. My blond hair only compounds the message of my white skin, telling all "here comes a man with money". I usually check out multiple stores selling the same product, stopping in each to haggle, telling them I am comparing prices, I know what they are charging is ridiculous... I tend to be on guard for those trying to take advantage of me. I sometimes feel they are being greedy.

It's strange when stop to consider that thought. Greed. Taking advantage of another. I have find myself wonder who is taking advantage of who. Are they not correct in that I can afford to pay a dollar or two more. For my 2 dollars, they can live for a day. I will have a couple of beer.

I have seen ladies, who night after night bring their baby to a street corner to beg. My first instinct is to be angry. That baby could be home in bed. You are selfish to try to increase your nightly income by playing on my heartstrings. But what life situation does this lady lead, that she feels that this is her best option. Perhaps, as much for her child as for herself.

I have heard travelers everywhere say the same thing as they walk by these people... There's so many, you can't help them all! I was saying this to myself one night as I walked by these ladies, on my way to my air-conditioned room with a balcony looking out over the pool, surrounded by palms and flowering vines. I realized just then that I had been lying to myself. "you can't help them all".

I begin to do the calculations in my head 500 riels is about 12 cents. If I keep my wallet full of 500, or even 1000 riel notes I can pass one to every beggar who asks me for help. It may cost me about 2 dollars a day. I made sure on my last night in Siem Reap to to stop at each of the regular beggars I had seen, and give them a small charity.

As I stopped to give the ladies with the children money, a little girl catches sight of me and runs across the street. "Buy some food for me sir... food for me." Thoughts spring into my head. What are the chances that this money will be used for food, what are the chances that you will even get to keep this money for yourself. I catch myself again being guarded. 'What am I guarding??? my 12 cents?' I pass the girl a note.

As I rolled out of Siem Reap on the night-bus heading for Phnom Penh. It were these thoughts of greed and charity that tugged at my mind for the first couple of hours. My policy for the past couple of years has been to always give to those who are provided no other avenue in their society. I never wavered in giving money to a man missing limbs, or a blind man calling out "sir... sir" as I passed by. But for some of the other I thought, why can't you find a job...

I suppose I'll never have an answer to these questions. I don't think that anybody can tel you whether a beggar needs money, or is just lining his pockets. I think for myself, what I need to do is start asking the question "why not give a little" rather than asking, "why give my money to you" or "how do I know you really NEED my money".

It will end up costing me a few dollars more, but I'll hardly notice it financially. I have heard so many times, how little of the money given to North American charities actually reaches those in need. At least I can be certain that my money is going to someone who needs it more than anyone I have had the opportunity to know. Maybe I can give up on the haggling a dollar earlier from time to time as well.

Few things in this world can be put into neat little packages of correct or incorrect. I would love to be sitting down with any one of you as I maul over these thoughts, but alas, you are all half-the-world-away. Most of my posts give a shot of what I am doing. Today I give you a shot of what I am thinking (among so many other things)...

I would love to keep writing, now. I have lot's more I could share, but my tuk tuk is here to take us to the airport. We are off to Thailand.


I love and miss you all

May peace and joy find each of you

Daniel

No comments: